Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Propinquity Effect

"There is an old Chinese proverb that says parents must give their children two things, roots and wings," Max says. "I have the roots. Now I want the wings."

Max is an over indulged dog with big dreams from Maira Kalman's Max Makes a Million- a slightly ridiculous and charming book meant for adults more than kids.  When I read that page so long ago, it made me so wistful. My parents only gave me wings as we moved more than thirty times.  I really wanted roots then but didn't know how to go about it.

It turned out to be quite simple- I bought a house and throughout a decade started to put serious taproots down in West Berkeley.   There is a simple pleasure living on a street where you know most of the neighbors and the best of their culinary repertoire.  I was fortunate to land on a neighborhood chock full of individuals who create their own path.  We have a good mix of artists, jazz musicians, writers, a poet, and of course hard working spouses who hold down steady jobs for healthcare.

My neighbor- the indomitable Jackie Krentzman just a few years ago decided she wanted to produce documentaries. I was definitely an unexpected beneficiary of her last documentary which involved a roasted suckling pig as a prop and I and a friend became the most lucky recipient of a deliciously tender shank and head.  She just started a kickstarter campaign for her latest documentary - The Outcast of Beauregard Parish which follows a Pentecostal preacher turned atheist deep in the Bible Belt.  How many of us are willing to brave a persecuted life on account of their beliefs?

(This exquisite combination of azure, cobalt, and lavender is the creation of my neighbor Chance and is more eye-poppingly lovely in life than a mere photo can convey.  )

No comments:

Post a Comment